Tailormade Tours has always been committed to responsible tourism by continually focusing on achieving best practice in economic, social, cultural and environmental sustainability. In conducting our operations, we strive to minimize our impact on the environment, spread benefits throughout the local economy as well as directly promote and support community wellbeing. We ensure visitors gain a deeper connection with the local people and the landscape so that they gain the most from their experience.
Accredited Tourism Business / Advanced Ecotourism Certification
We are an Accredited Tourism Business having met the requirements of the National Tourism Accreditation Standard which means our customers are entitled to expect professional customer service, accurate advertising, sound environmental practices, compliance with health and safety standards and an appropriately licensed and qualified operator.
Tailormade Tours is committed to ecological sustainable tourism with a focus on experiencing natural areas, fostering environmental and cultural understanding, appreciation and conservation and has been awarded Advanced Ecotourism certification which officially recognizes the highest level of economically, environmentally and socially sustainable practices that we adopt.
We pride ourselves in providing leading and most innovative ecotourism products and providing an opportunity for visitors to learn about the environment. We use resources wisely and contribute to the conservation of the environment and help communities wherever possible.
For details on the Australian Tourism Accreditation Program and why you should choose an accredited business, visit www.atap.net.au.
For more information on Ecotourism Australia and its initiatives, refer the following website www.ecotourism.org.au.
Community Support / Cultural Appreciation
Tailormade Tours is dedicated to helping local communities by promoting small operators and communities and some of your payment also goes towards supporting these local and indigenous communities. Our touring also incorporates cultural experiences so that travellers can appreciate the local culture first-hand. We understand the values of community and our people are proud to make a difference.
Our Valued People
Tailormade Tours employs professional staff to provide exceptional touring experiences for our customers, and we are proud to be a family organization based on strong values. Our aim is to foster an environment of support to our people, to provide them with rewarding careers and to ultimately assist in them meeting their personal and family goals.
Tailormade Tours is acutely aware of the damaging effects of climate change on the environment and has its own modern fleet of vehicles designed to minimize emissions in the most practical way. Our infrastructure adopts a range of practices to minimize emissions including the use of solar power, reduced energy usage, recycling and other initiatives.
Leave No Trace, Minimal Impact Principles
In operating our tours, we stress the importance of minimal impact principles which include:
Dispose of Waste Properly
- Take all rubbish with you where no bins are provided - "carry in – carry out" policy
Leave What You Find
- Take only pictures, leave only the lightest of footprints and bring home only memories
- Resist the temptation to take home souvenirs. Leave stones, feathers, artefacts, petrified wood, etc, so that others may enjoy them
- Leave the place you’re visiting in a natural condition
- Treat the animals you encounter with respect as you are a visitor traveling in their backyard
- Observe wildlife from a distance
- Do not feed the animals
Be Considerate of Other Visitors
- Preserve the solitude and respect of other travelers by controlling noise levels and avoiding disorderly or offensive behaviour
- Stay on the marked tracks at all times
- Obey all safety directions, notices and warning signs
- Report people to the proper authorities who damage, litter or violate area regulations
- Educate as many people as you can about leave no trace and minimal impact skills and ethics
- Educate customers to minimise water usage wherever possible
Cultural Appreciation, Understanding and Respect
Some of our touring may take place in aboriginal communities and as Tailormade Tours respects cultural appreciation, it is important to know some of the essential protocols to be adhered to when visiting these communities.
These protocols encompass the 3 "R's" which are:
- Relationship - Recognise indigenous people’s relationship and connection to the land.
- Responsibility - Acknowledge the ongoing responsibility indigenous people have to their country and recognise your own responsibility to travel thoughtfully.
- Respect - Respect Aboriginal beliefs associated with country and culture. As a visitor, respect the wishes of your hosts and any restrictions that you have been asked to observe.
The choices you make when travelling can and do make a difference. Respect indigenous culture and country is a matter of travelling thoughtfully. Some essential protocols to be followed are as follows:
- Remember when visiting aboriginal communities to respect the privacy and wishes of the people who live on that community.
- Respect the indigenous people by not photographing them without permission.
- Respect sacred sites by not entering or photographing them.
- There may be incidents where there has been a death, incident or cultural ceremony on the community, and entry to the community may not be granted – use extra sensitivity in communities at these times.
- Direct eye contact with Aboriginal people is not always culturally appropriate.
- Clients are welcome to ask any questions they may have in regard to the Aboriginal people on the community, remembering that cultural sensitivities may prevent some questions being answered directly.
- If you are talking to Aboriginal people, recognise that they may communicate differently to non-indigenous people – English may be a second or third language.
- Do not enter areas of the community without permission.
- Please do not remove rocks or other objects from Aboriginal land or waters without the permission of traditional owners. Disturbing cultural sites is also prohibited by Australian law.
Emphasis on Ecotourism
Tailormade Tours is committed to ecologically sustainable tourism with a focus on experiencing natural areas, fostering environmental and cultural understanding, appreciation and conservation.
We pride ourselves in providing leading and most innovative ecotourism products and providing an opportunity for visitors to learn about the environment. We use resources wisely and contribute to the conservation of the environment and help local communities wherever possible.
For more information on Ecotourism Australia and its initiatives, refer to the website www.ecotourism.org.au.